Saturday, September 19, 2026

Prom Night III: The Last Kiss

 


The poster art for Prom Night III: The Last Kiss says it all-Alex eventually becomes a rebellious dude on a bike with a leather jacket, sunglasses, a hot brunette on the back and flames torching everything in his path. It's one of the times in horror film history where you get what you see because the marketing for whatever movie it is actually sells you what the film really embodies, and everything here encompasses just that. Except there's so much more. How does Alex make it there? How does he get everything that is shown on the cover on the box art? It happens because Mary Lou Maloney from Prom Night II still isn't all the way dead yet and she still has unfinished business with Hamilton High, so she breaks out of her chains that are keeping her in hell, dancing and jazzercising for all eternity. The main overall crimp with Prom Night III: The Last Kiss is that it's a fucking goofy movie. The tone has a heavy layer of cartoony humor about it and I'm always up for something off center like that and I will fully admit right away that I really enjoyed this one for it. My favorite so far in this franchise still has been Prom Night II, but Prom Night III is a very close second. I have a really strong feeling that Prom Night IV isn't going to be this way-it's probably going to end up being a try-hard return to how slow and rigid the original was, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I just hope it has some kind of energy behind it to keep things moving. Okay, so I'm not here to waste your time with my predictions about the next sequel though-I'm here to focus on Prom Night III: The Last Kiss and this honestly was a great time. I loved that Mary Lou came back full force and was the main enemy here, pulling Alex away from his girlfriend Sarah and his friend Shane to frame him and make it look like he was murdering people all around the school. There's only four main kills that take place during it's runtime, but they sure are great and the special effects are fantastic here as well as being campy as all hell which just compiles onto the already off-center nature that this flick embodies in the first place. I mean Mary Lou (played by Courtney Taylor this time around) is way hotter in this next sequel than she was in part II, but she wears a really sexy ice cream vendor outfit and ends up killing the biology teacher with two ice cream cones which pin his hands to the serving table at her creamery stand and then proceeds to shred the guys head and face with a blender sort of appliance that looks like it would be used for mixing said frozen treats. Sounds fun, right? It is a fun gag in the film and it also ends up being really damn brutal. Also, the other kill that I want to point out is that she ends up tossing a football to the captain of the football team at one point and half of the football randomly turns into a drill bit styled thing where it impales the captain onto the bottom pole of the field goal in the football field. All of the kills here in Prom Night III: The Last Kiss are like this-just ridiculous, over the top shenanigans that could only be employed into a fun, lower budgeted romp built specifically for the home video market back in the very early 90's. But that's the main basis-Mary Lou still wants revenge for what happened to her back in the second film, so she comes back and uses Alex as a scapegoat for all of her killings, hatred and vengeance. She kills anyone that annoys her, gets in her way and makes out with (and has sex with at one point) Alex just so he keeps coming back her to to keep her spirit going. This flick really is a riot and if you've never seen any of the Prom Night movies like I haven't until very recently and for some crazy reason you decide to start with Prom Night III: The Last Kiss, I really don't think you'd be let down. Unless you just don't have a taste or pre-disposition to watch a film like this anyway. Then I'd probably just say that you're a boring lump that needs to lighten up and learn how to have fun with this shit once in awhile. By the way, for the guys out there-towards the end there's a scene where Alex is already in jail and Mary Lou randomly appears to bail him out and she's wearing a really hot police uniform. Or at least, I though she looked great in it. I just had to throw that out there. May part IV be as entertaining as II and III. Now I just want a cone with strawberry ice cream. At 9a.m.-what a world.


No comments:

Post a Comment