Saturday, October 24, 2015

"31 Horrors of October"- Castle Freak


Having the dvd of Castle Freak in my collection for over a year now and never watching it once until earlier this morning was a disgrace. How could I have neglected such a solid picture from Stuart Gordon starring The Legendary Jeffery Combs and Barbara Crampton? He directed From Beyond and Re-Animator for Pete's sake! I think maybe it has been because the print that I own of Castle Freak was put out by Full Moon, and not being the biggest fan of them held me back. Sure, I love the occasional Puppet Master, Killjoy, Dollman or Trancer flick-but a lot of their other properties that have nothing to do with that are seriously lacking in the entertainment department. Silliness and fun? Yes! But I've never liked them enough to dig any deeper than the main titles they put out, and after really enjoying Castle Freak, I think I need to take a closer look. Full Moon might be a brighter star in the b-movie constellation than I realized.

  Castle Freak has a lot going on. A man inherits a castle in Italy. His family moves into said castle. Jeffery Combs has a drinking problem and still holds baggage of killing his two sons and blinding his daughter in a car accident-while driving drunk. A supposed dead relative is still chained up in a lower part of the castle. After 40 years, he finally gets loose and causes some really nasty and gory chaos. Whew. That's just scratching the surface zits and zombies- I would say that Castle Freak is probably on par with Stuart Gordon's other films before and after. It also makes me hungry for wine and Italian food.   

No comments:

Post a Comment