Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Dead Calm (VHS)


As a collector, I never really tell anyone what I'm looking for for my shelf because I want the thrill of the hunt for myself. It sounds selfish, but the ultimate thrill of finding that "movie I've been looking for" for a while adds to the overall experience, but sometimes friends and family tend to try to help out with the cause, and any input is always appreciated. My friend John found the film Dead Calm for me on VHS last week at a Goodwill when he was off from work, and told me the cover art just looked like "something I need to see". He had never heard of it. I had never heard of it. But it featured Sam Neill, Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane-and that's all I needed to know. My initial thought was that he stumbled upon some lost SOV gem that I had never heard of, but it ended up being an actual horror/thriller that was handled by Warner Bros. and that's further from what I had expected. The main reason why Dead Calm is so amazing and so tense is because everything that happens in this film could actually happen. 

Sam Neill is a boss.

Can't find your family, eh sailor?

Jesus, the weight of that tragedy is just... to damn much.

I don't think I could be on a boat for that long.

He wants that taste for adventure-John Ingram style.

Going aboard that boat is probably not in your best interest.

She's going down sllloooooooooowwly....

This has to be a worst case scenario of "curiosity killed the cat".

You're going to be pumping the water out of that boat for a long time, bro.

Come on, Rae. Dude's a creep. Throw him overboard.

What the hell is going on in the main hull, a Nine Inch Nails concert?!

About 90% of this film is Rae vs. Hughie (Kidman vs. Zane) on the boat that her and her husband were sailing on for a very long winded vacation after a terrible incident in the family. John decides that it's a good idea to investigate the boat that Hughie came rowing to their boat from, and all sorts of horrible things start taking place, making the film more and more intense as time progresses. I'm not going to spoil anything that happens in this film because you truly need to watch this zits and zombies, but let's just say that the very end of Dead Calm is every bit of dead and the complete opposite of calm. There is no opening for any sort of sequel (and I'm surprised there never was one) and even if there was, I don't think a second installment could even touch this outing. There were also plenty of times where I thought John was going to drown, and for me personally is absolutely terrifying because I have a pretty bad phobia of any body of water that's deeper than what I can stand upright in. Put your snorkels on, zits and zombies-these waves are coming.     

No comments:

Post a Comment