So, bit-by-bit recently my wife has been showing me pics, trailers, clips and various other pieces of media depicting Michael Leavy as the new potential Freddy Krueger and I have to say this guy has got it. He's got the voice, the tone, the look, the way he moves-everything. If you have not seen it yet or bothered to look it up, there is a four minute short film on YouTube with him in full make-up and Freddy attire with the glove, hat and sweater, doing his thing and invading the nightmares of some young chick named Natalie. This basically ends up being a promo piece or "bumper" if you will to try to get fans, press and audiences pumped up and ready to justify why Michael Leavy should indeed play the new Freddy Krueger. The feeling that was imbued in me almost immediately when the short started was that this would be in fact a fresh, new version of A Nightmare On Elm Street that I don't know if we necessarily need because we can all just go back and watch the original with Robert Englund, but we do actually all need so desperately to forget about that abomination remake with Jackie Earle Haley that was released in 2010. My wife and I saw it in the theater when it was released back then and us and everyone else in the theater hated it. I don't know a single fan of the franchise that liked it. At all. For any reason. Maybe there are some Freddy fans out there that embrace that film and like it at the very least for what it is, but there's no way in hell if I was still collecting physical copies of horror films would I reserve any kind of space on my shelf for that piece of shit. This however-this potential new flick starring Michael Leavy as Freddy Krueger-the invader and killer of our dreams-which is also approved by Robert Englund himself which is fantastic-this will be a legendary remake. I'd wager that this would most likely be on the same level of ten out of ten remakes in the realm of The Fly, The Blob, IT with Bill Skarsgard and John Carpenter's The Thing (everyone forgets that that's a remake too) because after all the pieces that my wife has shown me as well as watching the short film this morning, I'm confident. I'm very confident that this is the torch that needed to be handed off to carry this character into the future to garner possible new fans and audiences so that Freddy Krueger will never be forgotten. Let's be real though-this character is way to much of a horror icon at this point to ever be fully forgotten, it's just great to see someone a lot younger with the talent, looks, charisma and energy to be able to keep this going. 1-2 Freddy's coming for you... 3-4 better lock your door...
I'm not a hashtag guy by any means, but I have to say #LeavyForKrueger. I'm all in. And he's getting shout-outs from fucking Felissa Rose, Barbara Crampton and Robert Englund himself. What more could he possibly need to make this happen? Nothing I say. Nothing. We as horror fans are here for it and there's nothing that can stop him. Unless of course there ends up being some kind of bullshit studio interference or something because that's an unfortunate possibility. But here we are. Can't wait until this comes to fruition. It's going to be one for the books. Watch for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment