Saturday, July 21, 2018

Camp Killer


I truly can't tell if this is some kind of joke or not, but Camp Killer won three different awards and was nominated for another three at an indie film festival back in 2016. Other reviewers, critics and horror fanatics seem to lean towards liking this film, but when I sat through this last night on Amazon Prime the first thing I thought after the initial twenty minutes was "is this piece of shit over yet?" The opening sequence felt like the entire film was packed right in before the beginning credits were even presented-and that already shows that Camp Killer has horrible pacing issues. I know that this flick has plenty of random references and homages to other classic terror pictures sprinkled through out, but it just wasn't enough to keep me interested let alone to stay awake. Yes, I did fall asleep somewhere around the middle mark but I did go back and check what I missed and it really wasn't anything worth losing some much needed rest over. I will say this-the gore and the kills were pretty great and very well put together. The killer himself (David Lightfoot? Really??) seemed just bland and didn't do anything more than what every other horror icon has ever done before in the past. He had some creative one-liners and was aggressive, but again it didn't add to much to me really caring about what Camp Killer ultimately offered. 

Hey Norman, you're fat. Shut up.

The girls are the only ones roasting wieners over the fire.

Can you really get that baked from vaping?
   
There's nothing wrong with being a Fangoria addict.

   "Special kids?" You're fucking special because you have a Ghostbusters tattoo.

  Oh boy-A Texas Chainsaw Massacre reference.

 Norman's dead too-thank God.

I'm pretty sure that was more than six shots-but who's really counting?

 This is simply just one of those times where I don't understand why everyone seems to like a film and I don't. There are some good things going for Camp Killer-the plot is decent, the gore and kills were pretty cool and David Lightfoot was kind of a complex killer-I guess I just thought that everything in this movie was executed poorly. There are some pacing issues and the camera work in some scenes felt kind of sloppy. Personally zits and zombies, this is just a purgatory film. I didn't completely hate it, but I also just felt that one viewing was more than enough and I'll probably never revisit it. David Lightfoot, Gordon Lightfoot, Bumblefoot-hell I don't even like feet. Ugliest human appendage out there. Put some socks on.

2 comments:

  1. Can’t win ‘em all! Thanks for watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being involved with making a film! I know it takes a huge amount of time and effort to put a production together and every artist/director deserves their due-when I sit down to watch something and take my notes for a review, I'm always open minded to the fact that it could either be amazing or a complete waste of everyone's time. I just try to be honest as I possibly can and you're right... you can't win them all! Have fun making a sequel or something. Now go-get to work already.

      Delete