Monday, July 30, 2018

Suffer Little Children


Finding this at my local library last week was very surprising. I'm seriously the only one that has probably rented it since they acquired it, and someone else might end up taking it out for a week out of sheer curiosity. If that said person has no experience with SOV horror at all or even knows what that is-may the Universe have mercy on their soul. I have plenty of these types of grimy, beat-up, low budget, 80's offerings in my personal collection and I even had trouble watching it. And Suffer Little Children really wasn't even that bad of an entry in the SOV sub-genre, it's just that the print that Intervision had to work with to press this on dvd was just barely passable in the production department. Especially the audio. Man the audio is so worn and muffled for most of the film that all it is is loud crackly music over people's moving mouths and occasionally some words would fall out. Thankfully, they included English subs and if you track this down to check it out you need to put them on so you can understand anything that is happening on screen. Suffer Little Children as an SOV film however is better than I expected it to be-if somewhat awkward. There is plenty of horrific gore and Jesus fighting against Elizabeth in a weird black strobe light induced showdown that kind of gave me a headache. I enjoyed this piece for what it is, and I don't really understand why this was on the "Video Nasties" list in the 80's, but I guess it was probably because it features violence against children and Satan basically posing as a young girl that wants to kill everyone in the orphanage while some of the deaths being played out as fairly grisly.

 Cute, European blonde? Sign me up!

What's up with this guy being a Stephen King knock off?

No one wears a shitty gray tie with a Cosby sweater. No one.

 So the girl that can speak telepathically slams the door in some other girls' face, she screams, falls on the floor and then it's Monday all of a sudden. That's one helluva transition.

I don't know who these two pop-star douche-bags are. I just hope they get killed.

Elizabeth is the SOV version of Angela from Sleepaway Camp.

Cloudbusters looks like a killer good time. Especially with all of the shitty strobe lights and the vomit inducing Casio keyboard music.

Jesus, for a famous pop-star, this guy fucking sucks at dancing.

Surely a gem that must be dug up by more of us, Suffer Little Children actually whet my palette for a little period of time as I haven't watched anything remotely close to the SOV underground in quite awhile. This dvd always pops up in my suggested purchases on Amazon, and I'm very glad that Intervision is picking up these odd-ball, forgotten horror pictures that seem to always have a few layers of dust and broken insect limbs gracing the lid of the film canisters. It's so perfect that I could cry if I had any tears left. Add this one to your shelf if you like these strange corpses being exhumed because remember zits and zombies...Jesus fought Satan with a lot of black strobe lights running. And with a huge beard while donning a loin cloth.         

No comments:

Post a Comment