Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Spaced Invaders (VHS)


We never realize it until we've already committed a wrongful action. But life is full of regret sometimes, and leaving the VHS of Spaced Invaders sitting on my shelf for almost two years without watching it was a harsh crime that I had stacked against myself. I can't believe that I had such a great time sitting there just waiting for me to slide it on into my VCR. I can't even begin to tell you zits and zombies how blown away I was at how silly and incredibly energetic this film is. Spaced Invaders was released in 1990, but it could have easily been set out to land here on earth sometime between 1987-1989, and the film wouldn't even had come close to an identity crisis. Everything contained herein works so well for this film, especially the special effects and animatronics. The robotics employed for the aliens is just downright superb, and lends itself to being super cheesy while still making it feel like the aliens actually are there in front of everyone that's trying to run them off of earth. In addition to that mountain, the acting, script and characters seriously came straight out of a cartoon, and the slapstick just plows right through all the way to the end to create one of the most entertaining cult comedy sci-fi films that I've watched in a very long time. I was lucky with this one because it was a total blind buy-the cover and the screen shots on the back of the box sold me almost immediately. 

Inspired by Star Wars, dildo shaped starships!

Mr. Handy?! What the hell?

Big Bean, Illinois? There's no such town. I live here dammit.

Hardest working cop in Illinois. Sitting on a bench drinking some Coca-Cola.

  Starship goes boom!!!

What costume is she wearing? She looks like Ihsahn from the black metal band Emperor.

  Churches don't support Halloween. It's the devil to them.

You gotta have some balls to ask your wife if she's dead yet. Sheeeesh.

I used to eat dog treats. When I was 2.

"Well kids. 3-D glasses and driving don't mix."

  Ok, now I'm adding a world domination kit to my list of "things I need to rid society" with.

 The quick wit and speedy pace of Spaced Invaders adds up to being one helluva fun sci-fi comedy flick. I was honestly smiling and chuckling through the entire film once I started to realize that this isn't your average recipe of "silly aliens trying to take over the world". No, no, no. These boys know how to liven things up. Especially since when they crash land, it's smack dab in the middle of Halloween. Couldn't have been any more perfect. My final squeeze from this hearty cyst stands that this turned out to be one of the most rambunctious, over-the-top, over exaggerated early 90's films that I've watched in a long time. The body of Spaced Invaders encapsulates the 90's spirit of fun film making. I highly recommend you zits and zombies grab this for your collection. Any flavor. Rodge-o.

No comments:

Post a Comment