Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Patchwork


Patchwork is on Netflix as of right now, and I expected nothing from it. At all. When the film opened up, I really thought it was going to be some kind of Re-Animator rip-off type of deal (what with one of the scientists using a syringe full of some green-glowing substance that is supposed to bring people back from the dead) but I couldn't have been more off center. I enjoyed Patchwork way more than what the first few scenes led me to believe was going to take place in this horror offering. This basically ended up being sort of a modern take on the Frankenstein story, with more of a inner-monologue/thriller twist making this much more unique of a watch than it should have been. This monster that the story revolves around is three different women sewn and patched up together physically to make one being, and I found that the scenes with the three personas talking and interacting with each other internally to be un-expected and very entertaining. They helped to move the film along perfectly with a pace that isn't bogged down with some dumb back story for each. There is also and ending that kind of took me by surprise as well, and that just compiled onto what I already was sucked into character wise. This is the basis of a revenge tale with a lot of tweaks and segues which just made me a happy horror fan seeing a crew take an older idea and spinning it into something different and somewhat original. 

There's a problem when you're having a convo with a severed head in a pan.

Neon green re-animation serum? I know where this is headed.

Take the ear piece out. Give the girl some love.

I don't think I could live alone. Sorry.

So... these three chicks are stapled together into one person?

I swear to God-morticians and scientists are always eating sandwiches and donuts. Always.

  This internal dialogue between the three girls is actually pretty cool.

Ellie, you're trying way to hard.

Get hit by a van all of a sudden.

I want to punch this ear piece wearing douche-bag.

Alright-well the Frankenchick did it for me.

Zits and zombies, give Patchwork a go. It's definitely one of the better indie horror flicks I've seen this year, and it really took me by surprise. The characters were evenly developed, it didn't go into rip-off territory like I thought it would when it started, the pace is fantastic and I really enjoyed the scenes with the three women talking among themselves to try and figure out what is going on and why they are stapled together. The comedy in here works to great effect as well, and everything in this film just has a good balance to it where the viewer is never distracted from what is actually happening and you can laser-focus on the story and really embed yourself in it. I-I-I believe you have my stabler. Stabler. Stapler.   

No comments:

Post a Comment