Tuesday, August 21, 2018

#400: Freddy VS. Jason (blu-ray)


This is absolutely insane to me, but I cannot believe that this is my 400th post/review here on Cinema Slayer. Absolutely gratifying. Purely satisfying. I didn't even realize how much work and dedication I have been pouring into this blog for the past 4-5 years now, and I fully believe that my writing skills have completely become honed, more solid, and focused because this has been my art-my blood, sweat and tears for these past few years. I really couldn't have done it without the love and support from close friends, loved ones and the inspirational undead....

Namely you. Whoever you are. Reading this.

  I had planned on watching and writing a review for Freddy VS. Jason quite awhile ago, but the closer I came to reaching 400 posts, the more I waited on purpose because it just felt like it was something I needed to save for just this occasion. Something fun and epic for something fun and epic. I think it fits. For something as big as this film really turned out to be, putting it off until the perfect time to work on a reflection of this film presentable enough for you all is exactly what I felt like I had to do. And I'm all the better and happier for it.

Zits and zombies, let's get going. And don't take to much Hypnocil.

 The one and only time that I have ever watched Freddy VS. Jason besides earlier today was way back in my wife and mine's Champaign days. We rented it on a whim from Family Video out of our separate love for either horror character and franchise. She wanted Freddy to win and I of course wanted the killing machine Jason to be the victor, but by the end you find out that either one of them has fears and weaknesses just like everyone else. This film really is as fun as it could have been-the humor is there, the fantastic gore is intact for both horror icons and the acting and situations are pretty smooth and don't really detract from the overall experience of absorbing these two titans of fear duking it out. If you have been a fan of either of these guys since their inceptions, you could probably already deduce what their main frights are or could be-and me telling you if you haven't seen this will just suck some fun out. But mainly they play off of their strengths with Jason just being a fucking mongoloid bulldozer and Freddy destroying peoples' dreams-the film overall does a very solid job of letting the audience know if they're in the dream world or the real world without it really being jumpy or taking them out of the realm of what is really happening. The teens are typical teen fare with the smoking, drinking, sex and all of that cliched' garbage, but it had to be there for the tissue of this picture to work. And work it does.

Into the furnace you go.

Ah. The Springwood Slasher.

 Well Mike, you're a lucky bastard.

  A mother's love is eternal. Even if it is Freddy.

Cute black girls are always real.

I guess she's having a good fucking time.

 That's what I call "folding under pressure".

Dream? What dream? This is a nightmare.

Not every full moon is easy to look at.

I'm already friends with coffee and I still have to go to bed at some point.

A rave in the middle of a corn field brings on a whole new set of trouble.

"He who walks behind the rows." Oops-wrong movie.

Jason on fire while brandishing his machete is totally kick-ass.

It's raining like hell. Close a window.

Looks like Lori fell asleep.

At the end of the night, Jason VS. Freddy offers up a gory, visceral and fun showdown between two of horrors biggest characters without letting down any fans that have been craving something of this ilk for many years. If it's possible, there should be a way to get a sequel together and have them back-but also include The Shape, Pinhead, Chucky, Leatherface, Ash, Pennywise and Victor Crowley. Mix it up a bit. Get the blood pumping. I have no clue how something that massive would work, but it's an idea. Zits and zombies, this isn't the greatest face-off flick ever made. It wasn't meant to be. It was meant to be a fun franchise booster for both characters and I firmly believe that it satiated many blood thirsty taste buds in the process. I would recommend this without hesitation and if you're a horror-hound, there is much here to soak in and enjoy. Neither Jason or Freddy were ever dead-because they needed each other to live.      

No comments:

Post a Comment