Sunday, March 25, 2018

Demon Wind


The deeper I go down this horror film hole, the more complete I feel. Even after somehow managing to not off myself beyond the likes of Blown, Curse On Blanchard Hill, Greetings and many, many other bullshit attempts at fright entertainment-there are still plenty of 80's and 90's gems that lay stained with the soot of the earth that need discovering. Demon Wind is for sure one of these diamonds or emeralds. After viewing this only for the first time about a week ago with a few beers and some sustenance, I had to choose something for my note taking works to be fulfilled. My Amazon Instant Video watch list is pretty full of weirdo cult movies and blood soaked morsels for me to cleanse my nerve filled optics with, but the cover art for Demon Wind captivated me-and I acted. Everything about this flick is a very solid 4/4 with no extra notes or busyness-I just wish that the overall tone of the picture was just a tad less straight and I think that this would be a near perfect horror piece that should occupy some shelf space. It really is that fantastic as the plot is pretty dark with all of the witch burnings, black magic and satanic imagery-special effects (all practical) are truly superb and I loved every bit of the demon makeup (although in 4k it all looked really cheesy) along with a pace that never pulls the viewer along or tries to push them ahead, culminating into an excellent classic terror flick bellowing from 1990.   

A picture of Jesus, some family photos and a voodoo doll. Makes sense.

Damn George, how much vanilla yogurt did you eat?

Sweet. A skull full of worms.

It's not essential to see Cory naked. No, really. It isn't.

Dell is a fag-shoot him.

She probably didn't know her former boyfriend was Count Vlad Tepes Dracula either.

Karate kick beer can!

Paul McCartney wears lip gloss.

A little movie smog never hurt anyone. Well, now Dell is dead. I'm not always right about these things you know.

There is one main way I can recommend this to you zits and zombies-just go on Amazon Instant Video and enjoy it. Demon Wind was recently released on blu-ray as well so hopefully besides the way I watched it that will be the other way blood fans will happen upon this film. There is a scene that is pretty funny where one of the jocks is karate kicking beer cans to try to impress everyone. That was pretty great and I feel like that is definitely a classic moment that must be shared by everyone. Kind of like the "pancakes" scene from the original Cabin Fever. If you just cut that part out and posted it somewhere out of context, everyone would gravitate towards it and wonder "what the hell movie is this from"? And there's the potential following. Either way that you consume this film is perfectly okay. Just don't get caught up in some strange mess of medieval magic. That's going to get your house burnt down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment