Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Island of Death


The title of this particular Greek cult/horror flick is kind of underwhelming, considering all of the insane amounts of outlandishly perverted sexual acts that render space during this saga. Island of Death was a video nasty in the 70's and 80's for a reason, and even though most of the films that I've sat through that were on that list back then really didn't deserve such hate-I think they got it right with this one. It was way ahead of it's time in terms of being free with showing a gay couple and a lesbian couple actually proceeding with things of natural forces, and that's really just the tip of what this film puts you through. Christopher and Celia are siblings and they get down as well as everyone else does in this picture. There's also sex with a lamb that is beheaded afterwards, Chris pisses on an older woman that is considered the island whore before they get going with their bedtime romp and then he just beats the shit out of her all through her house until she's unconscious. And then him and his sister carry her out of the house and he decapitates her with a fucking earth mover of all things. There are so many bat-shit scenes in this thing that I'm actually surprised I even made it to the end because normally I don't tolerate a lot of weird sexual material when I take notes on something for my blog, but it was a cult flick that I've really been wanting to see if it lived up to the hype, and yes, it did. I could go on forever plugging all of the insane shit in this picture-but I won't. You have to really see this stuff to believe it.

Sunburned is an understatement.

365 churches? That's to many. Call a black metal band to come and take care of that.

A house-nice, warm and cheap. This guy needs to find a nice, warm and cheap shower too.

Holy crap-a payphone.

Mario Mario is a dirty bastard. Look at his face.

Instead of everyone hates Chris, it's more like Chris hates everyone.

Well I guess Chris is going to have to kill his sister now. Even though he had sex with a lamb. Yeah.

You couldn't tell that guy was gay? Get real.

Murdering people does burn off a lot of calories.

Dark room artists.

Who invited Shaft?

"I hope he's got a waterproof watch!"

 Zits and zombies, I still don't actually know if I even liked Island of Death. The cinematography was very clean and interesting, the audio is great and you can hear everything the way you're supposed to. Colors pop and physically this film looks outstanding, especially since most of it takes place on the island of Mykonos. It's always amazing outside and everything just looks so good. But then there's a lot of rape, sexual deviancy, some guy getting nailed to the ground in the same way Jesus was nailed to the cross and was forced to drink white paint until he choked to death. A lesbian that has a heroine problem and just wants to have it with any female she comes in contact with. This was probably made just for shocks' sake, and even today I think it works. So I guess I can give credit where credit is due and just leave it at that. I don't think I'll be revisiting this anytime soon, and now that I know that I probably won't get the Arrow Video blu-ray either. For true sickies only.     

No comments:

Post a Comment