Friday, April 17, 2015

Specters (vhs)



Specters on vhs was another one of the many additions to my film/horror collection that ended up being a complete blind buy. I found it for a couple of bucks at the disc replay that I frequent, and I half way regret it. The box looked cool, I saw that it had Donald Pleasence as the main actor and it promised "an unforgettable journey into the darkest reaches of terror." Well, that's what the front of the box says anyway. Did it really stand up to that claim though? Not quite. There are some cool scenes with some sort of a monster-thing and a couple of decent kills, but it's mostly a slow burner that you have to be in the right mood for, or else you're just going to start looking up random shit on your phone about halfway through. 

Donald Pleasence? Kick ass!

This music sounds like the elevator version of Gloria Estefan.

The english dubbing in this is pretty weak and laughable.

Creature from the Black Lagoon, what the... oh, a movie in a movie.

"The computer doesn't know anything. An neither do you." Damn, Donald Pleasence told you, son!

Every time someone in this movie walks down a tunnel, I feel like I'm watching one of the Phantasm movies. I have no clue why.

That was the worst arm wrestling match I've ever seen. So out of context.

Oh no, a piece of styrofoam with Cthulhu's face on it!

These underground exploration scenes are pretty claustrophobic and bad ass at the same time.

Face-wall head smash!

I love women with that big 80's hair. So damn sexy.

Someone has the shittiest taste in music.

Finally, some female nudity! It only took about an hour and fifteen minutes.

    Looking back at my notes while I'm typing this, maybe I had more fun watching this movie than I initially realized. Either way, it was pretty sluggish and I can only say that if you're a diehard Pleasence fan and you want to have or watch all of his films at least once, go for it. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch, but it's not close to bottom of the barrel either. If you find it for a couple of bucks like I did, grab it. Otherwise, you can live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment