Monday, February 22, 2016

Almost Human


This is yet another one that I was seeing on dvd at Walmart and Best Buy a lot when it was released. You have to admit that the box art is pretty cool looking, as you would expect this to be some sort of throw back type film or something. A modern slasher of sorts. Kind of like Final Girls or Lost After Dark. After all this time, I finally got myself around to watching Almost Human on Netflix, and it was pretty lackluster. It ended up being another "alien abduction, guy returns as an alien to take everything over" type of sci-fi horror film, which normally I don't mind. But for some really hard reason, even with all of the gore and violence in this, it just wasn't enough for me to really like it at all. It felt dull and boring and even when things started to boil over towards the end and it piles on even more gore and violence- I just didn't care. Which is a shame because it's a great production, but... meh. I could've lived without it.

The tension. The chase. The paranoia. It's all so riveting. 

A loud, blue light? Aliens, perhaps?

C'mon Mark. You're going to need something bigger than that. That looks like a .22 or something.

Well, that noise is certainly obnoxious.

Post traumatic stress seems like it would be a normal outcome of witnessing an alien abduction.

Even though I hate going to work, it sucks when your boss cuts your hours. Bastards.

Holding a gun makes everyone feel better.

If you're looking for employment, there's an opening at the gas station up the road.

So, who's this cutie with dark hair?

Mark's going Texas Chainsaw in this bitch!

Shit always becomes creepy when a tv turns on by itself.

Almost Human was almost awesome, but for me it just lacked a certain punch. I think it might have been the ending. The ending was kind of just there and it really left everything open for there to be a sequel. Would I watch the sequel if one does get put together? That's a solid maybe just to see if it goes more in depth with everything that took place in the original. But don't get your hopes up. I would check this out if you're really in the mood for a decent sci-fi horror flick that has plenty of gore, a high production value and pretty good acting. But the ideas and the story are really what drug it down for me. I was honestly glad when it was over, so I could move onto something else. Maybe I'll go apply at that gas station. I hate my job.   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment