Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Boy


Before I get going here, I want to make one thing clear: I have a crush on Lauren Cohan. Ok. Now let's go. Hearing about and seeing ads and trailers for a horror flick involving Maggie from The Walking Dead already had my interest peaked as I was mostly curious about how she would perform in something other than that series. I honestly think she did a pretty solid job as the caretaker for "the boy" even though at the beginning of the film you're left scratching your head wondering if the elderly couple she is caring the boy/doll for are insane because of the in-your-face fact of them acting as if the doll is a real person. My wife and I had our suspicions about how the last half of the film would turn out, and we were mostly right. I will not spoil it for you here, but let's just say that even though I did enjoy The Boy for what it is, it still takes a lot of horror ideas and paths that have done before to get to where it's going and it ends up losing some momentum towards the end. Because I was expecting something else. And so are you. I was pleasantly surprised by how much atmosphere this film has in it's favor however, and it does help the experience stand a little more upright on it's own had it not had that sort of injection in the initial structure. Dolls creep me the fuck out. 

   Even old guys like boobs.

Maggie?

That was the worst display of putting the moves on someone. No wonder why this guy is single.

Ok, so.... is this girl a doll or..... what?

This has to be the most bizarre baby sitting job of all time.

I'm more creeped out by the fact that these old farts are acting like this doll is an actual person.

Peanut butter jelly time!

Predictable jump scare? Check.

Sweet Jesus- a rotary phone.

Greta is to cute. Just call it a date already.

Big empty mansions always come stock with a couple of layers of atmospheric dread.

She's losing her shit.

Remember kids-suicide is not the answer.

If I was Malcolm, I would be jumping all over Greta... (clears throat) sorry. Got a little carried away there. The Boy really does have a nice heavy layer of dread that you can feel as Greta is going through the house trying to figure out if the doll is alive or if it's her imagination. Part of me wants to recommend it to you zits and zombies, and part of me wants to say that it's a one-time watch that you'll probably never re-visit. It's up to you. Just make sure you stay away from those boys....wait. That was wrong. Disregard that.     

No comments:

Post a Comment