Sunday, March 12, 2023

Frankenstein (1931)

 


Nothing, and I do mean nothing can compare to the level of classic that the original Frankenstein picture from Universal Studios drudges up. Good old Frank has been my favorite monster from this line of colorless framework for as far back as I can possibly remember, and stay in that position he shall for the rest of my pathetic days-and I still have a lot of them left. I've always had a solid and unbreakable connection with Frankenstein's monster because he's the ultimate outcast-prodded and led to his ultimate demise because he was misunderstood and mistreated for not fitting in and looking like a deformed mess. Going against the grain is the name of the game when it comes to our favorite zipper neck, and that's where my personal plane of existence has always resided-on the outside looking in. When it rains it pours and when you feel like no one loves you or no one cares, Frank is always there to soften the blow and to make everything feel balanced and real again. I really love watching these older kinds of horror pieces from the golden age of horror cinema (I really just love the black and white stock that was used during this time period) and even to this day almost 100 years later, the original Frankenstein flick is a damned masterpiece showing that playing God is always a terrible idea because once a man's body and brain are both dead, they need to stay that way. Nothing abby-normal here. But I like the energy, the psychoses, and the madness that Henry Frankenstein brings upon himself in this situation because he has to know what it feels like to be like God and he has to know if he actually can bring someone back to life-even after completely losing it and doing some sweet grave robbing to get the bodies and body parts he needs to finish his work. Only to have his own creation turn on him. Sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it? 


Things are all set in town for the Baron's son to get married, only to have him become obsessed with this experiment he has cooking to reanimate dead tissue. Or to bring back the dead. Whatever you want to call it. He started out with animals (just like a serial killer would) and graduated to trying to fry some dead human corpses via high voltage, to see if they would come back to life or to just keep rotting in the grave for all eternity. Sounds awesome, right? I mean, I'd be on board with it except I just wouldn't want to deal with Frank getting pissed and not understanding his emotional state, which leads him to wanting to rip everyone's head off in an attempt to make himself feel better and to eliminate the competition. That's the adrenaline and testosterone talking. Even after his nuts stopped working. At the end of all of this non-sense, I sympathize with him because of what he is-a being of the outer limits. No one understands him and they all just want to eradicate him because of how violent he could be, not even including how violent they could be too. A lynch mob seems hypocritical, especially when talking about my boy Frankenstein.


I have been warned that Frankenstein might horrify me.


For whom the bell tolls... time marches on.


Dr. Frankenstein and his pal Fritz are both ready to pounce.


What a couple of grave robbing sons of bitches.


Skeleton go bouncy-bouncy.


Don't be a jackass, Victor.


Henry Frankenstein is creating the most misunderstood monster. I am so proud.


Stop touching the man's experimental materials and just have a seat.


It's Alive!!


Man, Baron Von Frankenstein has a sweet pipe to take constant drags from.


Maybe there is another woman-I think her name might be Mary Jane.


Frankenstein's monster is a beautiful misfit.


I've always wanted a top hat and a monocle.


To the house of Frankenstein!


Young Frankenstein is getting married! Let's get trashed!!


Zits and zombies, by now if you proclaim yourself to be a down and dirty true horror fan and have never seen the original Frankenstein film, you need to re-think about yourself staking such high claims. This is a gold standard watermark for monster movies, let alone offerings in the fear department all together. Royalty in the highest regard when it comes to being a misfit part of society-and I don't think the crown gets any heavier. There's a lesson to be had here, and that's sometimes putting your nose in the wrong places at the wrong times could lead to catastrophic disasters. I know Frank didn't mean to do it, but when he accidentally drowned Maria-that was it. That was the final straw to be pulled from the stack that sent the entire town on a quest to burn down the windmill that he was hiding in out of his own fear of not really knowing what was going on or what he was doing. Frank was ultimately looking to love, to learn and to live again because Henry Frankenstein saw to it that he could. With some lightning. And some crazed science that worked somehow. Let me see if I could bring back a loved one myself after shouting It's Alive! at the top of my lungs after a terrible thunder storm. I guarantee it won't work. Alright Fritz, flip the switch. Everything is going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment