Saturday, March 11, 2023

Rad (Mondo blu-ray)

 


Rad is an exceptional cult flick, and I love it dearly because of it's nostalgia factor and it's positive message. I honestly only saw a part of this movie when I was at a friends house one time way back in junior high randomly on t.v. because it was one of those situations where we were flipping channels and to us at the time it looked stupid, so we kept hunting for something to watch. I never had any interest in anything even remotely to do with biking or BMX at all when I was growing up, and that served to me even more to not pay any attention to a film like Rad. This was one where I was intrigued by it many, many years later as I became older because of the whole "underdog story" element held within it's grasp, and even though I've never been particularly a massive 80's music fan, the soundtrack here is so killer-perfect that I would honestly grab it on vinyl if the chance arose. When you've got thunder in your heart and you see an opportunity to go ass sliding with the girl of your dreams, you know things are going your way. Mondo and Mill Creek did an excellent job restoring this on blu-ray, and I'm glad that I was able to get it this time because the first time it was put out on blu-ray and 4k was by Vinegar Syndrome, and I missed it by a mile because, once again, I had no interest in it. I kept seeing the cover art along with people talking online about how this was an amazing movie they used to watch from their childhood's and some energy for me started to build up for it. Then I decided I needed this in my collection when my favorite movie reviewer on YouTube-Cecil of Goodbadflicks-had done an episode about Rad way back in his early days. I revisited his video about it and then I knew I had to have it. Luckily somehow, Mondo got together with Mill Creek to do a second run of this with their own print on blu-ray in a steelbook, and I pre-ordered that shit immediately. I had no choice.


Cru Jones is your average dude in high school that's looking to get with a specific girl, just doing his thang-practicing his bike tricks and hanging out with his gang. He also works at a bakery/deli where his boss really looks like a slovenly version of Seth Rogan. Hell, Seth Rogan looks like a slovenly version of Seth Rogan if we're completely honest. Duke Best comes to town with his lackey's to promote the Helltrack which is the BMX competition where the winner gets $100,000 and a sweet, sweet red corvette. But, like all movies like this, Duke Best is a greedy douche-baggins of a businessman that wants nothing more than his own guy, Bart Taylor, to win this thing so he can keep the money and garner the glory. Cru Jones is going to kick Best's ass, especially on the very day of the Helltrack itself when Best and his dumb sidekick decide to keep changing the rules to screw him over. Cru and the entire town help him overcome the odds to put whatever dinky town they live in on the map, and he gets to make it with Lori Loughlin. Or ass sliding. Or both. It's to bad about that whole cheating to get her daughter into college thing happened-they could have been a great couple. Either way, he wanted an angel sent to him, and boy did he get that. The money, the girl, the car, his mom off of his back about the SAT's. When you have talent, no one cares about that. I know I wouldn't.


Fancy bikes, fancy tricks and fancy licks.


What a way to "break the ice".


"The porch, I told you a million times, the porch!"


Now I just want to play Paperboy on the NES.


No one cares about your college applications.


Everything has a political and corporation taint behind it. Nothing can have a pure stance.


Dr. Robotnik needs to learn some new motorcycle tactics.


I don't really want to know what "ass sliding" means.


Screw college-let him get into the Helltrack.


Is there ever a time when Cru isn't on his bike?


Aunt Becky is looking pretty saucy tonight.


The pressure is on, man-there's a ton of cute chicks in bikini's watching.


Cru said he was saving going ass sliding with someone special. That someone special is Lori Loughlin.


Gotta qualify for that Helltrack!


They've got thunder in their hearts!


Cru totally is being a goon.


It's just like a politician to "change the rules" at the most convenient time for themselves to benefit.


Zits and zombies, Rad is absolutely a top tier 80's flick. It comes down to the fact that it doesn't matter if you're interested in BMX or not because that's not what's producing the thunder in your heart. What is doing that is the fact that this mostly unknown kid from some mostly unknown town gets the chance to prove to himself and everyone else that he's the best and no one can stop him. Bart Taylor can't. The mayor can't. Duke Best can't. Nobody. And that's the most positive attitude you can have when grinding against an assclown like that that think's they're invincible. Arrogance makes men eventually falter, and Cru Jones has a heart of gold that is unmatched. Now, get on you bikes and ride! Bi-cycle, bi-cycle, bi-cycle... I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike. I want to ride it where I like! And I want that chance for the glory! Suck it up, Best! You're not the best anymore! Hulk Hogan, eat your heart out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment