Monday, June 22, 2015

Maniac (re-make)



As most of us horror fanatics already know, the original Maniac is an absolute visceral classic. The scene in which Frank jumps up onto the hood of that car and blasts that dude into fucking oblivion with a long double barrel shotgun is just a scene that no one could ever forget. And that ending. Jesus. If you've never seen the original Maniac and only have seen the re-make, you're sorely missing out. After viewing the re-make on Netflix, I'm glad that I've watched the original more than once before this came about. I'll be honest, I still don't really know if I even like the re-make. It's dark, psychotic, bloody (where it needs to be. It's not over the top or anything) and has a pretty similar atmosphere. But again, the original just beats it. I'm not too surprised.
 
I would not want to live in this downtown area.
 
Scalped right in the hallway!
 
Lucy is a cutie. Love the lip ring and the curly red hair!
 
So the whole film is through Frank's eyes, huh? I can handle that a lot more than a shitty found footage movie.
 
I don't remember this much scalping in the original film.
 
What did they eat at dinner earlier? It looks like Frank threw up diarrhea from his mouth.
 
There's a such thing as mannequin restoration? That's interesting.
 
The subway scene in this version is weak.
 
She's dead dude!
Of course, the iconic cover art image from the original. Reflected into the side of a car.

Frank's mom was a whore and she was into drugs. What a surprise.

Like I said, I really don't know what to think about the re-make of Maniac. It has all the right elements to be a good re-make and they show all of the scalpings unlike the first one where I think you only see one or two where Frank actually scalps the females and the rest is up to your imagination. Which is really how it should be. Movies nowadays just show everything and that most of the time just takes the fun out of asking questions about what's really going on in the film. It's like reading a book and having the book tell you everything right at the beginning so you don't have to read the rest of it. What's the point? Same thing with movies. Newer ones show a little too much and it doesn't leave enough for you to sit with it after it's over and to maybe go back and watch it again. I have mixed feelings on the re-make of Maniac, but I will say this- if you've seen the original at least once, watch this and compare. If not, watch the original first. You'll be better off.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment