Monday, June 8, 2015

Repo! The genetic opera



I generally never can get into a musical. Something about the way they are edited and the up and down feeling they have from every character singing all of the dialog instead of just regular speech just never sat well with me. I do really like Nightmare Before Christmas and a lot of the older Disney animated classics (which pretty much are musicals if you really sit down and think about it for a moment) and now I get to add something else to that small list of musical films that I enjoy - Repo! The Genetic Opera kicks ass. I really did not expect to like this one, but the songs, characters, setting, plot... everything about this is just so original (save the Blade Runner look of the city and GeneCo) that I couldn't help myself.

 I absolutely adore this comic book cell introduction! 

This organ repossession stuff is pretty brutal.

The look and camera fly-by of GeneCo is a complete homage to Blade Runner.

 Dani Filth? Nah, it's just some guy that really looks like him.

Shilo kicks ass. I like her character.

The soundtrack for this film rocks!

Cool! More comic book cells!

So, Nathan had to birth Shilo himself because of his fuck up with the cure he made. That's some heavy business man.

Bill Moseley?! Allright!

Normally, I'd rather eat my own vomit than watch anything with Paris Hilton, but in this movie I want to boink her. Like, right now.

On second thought, I like Nathan better than Shilo.

"Zydrate Anatomy" has got to be my favorite song in this movie.

I really did not expect to like this at all, but with it being a film that was directed and written by Darren Lynn Bousman, who also had a hand in the original Saw, even with it being a musical it was still fantastic. I just loved the setting and the darker edge and the gore that had to be in it because of the organ repossession. The music was heavier as well making it a genuinely enjoyable musical experience and it has freaking Bill Moseley! How could you go wrong?? I will be adding this to my collection when I can on dvd. It's on Netflix right now, so I suggest you give it a go or I'll come and repossess your kidneys. Ta-ta! 

No comments:

Post a Comment