Thursday, June 2, 2016

Maximum Overdrive (VHS)


The very first time I saw Maximum Overdrive was during a visit to my brother's apartment down in Champaign before my wife and I ever moved down there. We watched it from beginning to end, and we hated it. I just don't think we understood the majesty of this film entailing AC\DC, Stephen King, Emilio Estevez, a semi-truck full of toys with the Green Goblin on the front of it and a whole underground cache' of machine guns and rocket launchers. This film is fun as hell, and it gets better every time you view it because you notice more funny things about it with each pass. The overall idea behind it is just outright ridiculous as being afraid of trucks and appliances perplexes me. I think that's the point. Even with that in the background, Emilio does some pretty solid acting in here as some shitty restaurant cook that ends up with the cutie of a girlfriend and torches a few trucks with an RPG and a military turret with a grenade. All because of some comet passing earth, making all of our electronics go haywire and granting them the desire to kill us all. What fun. 

"Hey honey, this machine just called me an asshole!"

Who made Who?

Ha ha, knuckle deep!

Stone maker, studabaker.

Gotta wipe the goblin's nose.

Yo' mama.

Now that's a wall of pussy.

I wish I had a soda can launcher. That shit would hurt.

Dude, you want to watch your wife take a dump? Whatever, bro.

I hate clowns. I hate clowns. I hate clowns.

Technology has really taken over our lives, hasn't it.

Being a bible salesman must be pretty shitty.

Diesel power!

"I think I just loaded my pants!"

R-P-G!!!!!! 

The scene where Emilio annihilates one of the trucks with a rocket launcher is fucking fantastic, as well as when he spins the gun on that turret and shreds it with a grenade. Explosions and explosions. This is a Stephen King classic and if you have never sat through this zits and zombies, you owe it yourself to do so. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll want to listen to AC\DC for days afterwards. Their music that's in this movie (specifically Who made Who?) just fits right in perfectly and no other band at that time could've put it together better. I need to go take my CDL test. Wish me luck.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment