Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Soultangler (Bleeding Skull! vhs)


If there ever was a trash-horror epic that touched my heart, it would be The Soultangler. This is one of the most recent additions to my collection (along with the Bleeding Skull! dvd of Night Feeder) and it's definitely a warm welcome. Pat Bishow put his heart, soul (heh) and twenty dollars in his back pocket into this flick. And it shows. It's premium horror-garbage that any hardcore fan of a good, solid SOV film can appreciate. There were quite a few scenes in The Soultangler that almost made me feel as if it were a sequel to the insane Canadian monstrosity known as Things. Or maybe directed by the same two guys. It's complete with cringe-worthy dialogue, atrocious voice dubbing, very forced and oaken acting, and about two hundred shots of the same damn medical side cut of the anatomy of a guy's head every other scene. It's hilarious, bizarre and fun. And that's how you know that's it's a trashy thrill ride that you're going to love.  

"After life. After death. The madness begins."

Surgery looks tasty.

Even in a back-pocket funded horror flick, the media is annoying.

This Jessica chick kind of looks like a bald eagle.

A most hilarious scene where a van runs over a stoner/hippie looking guy. And then his body just vanishes into thin air.

Zodiac killer?

Bitch slapped by a hammer!

Finally, a movie with a zombie priest.

All this Castle girl does is smoke. I haven't seen her eat anything at all.

Too much lens flare!

That looks like the silliest satanic worship documentary I've ever seen.

Psoriasis is a bitch.

The Soultangler has plenty of violence and gore. There's a scene where Kim (Castle) stomps a strange looking doll in the middle of a street and it's full of blood. A guys head gets cut off about 3/4 of the way and a ton of blood squirts out. The skin off of a skull is ripped off and the eyes and brain are completely exposed. They get curb stomped. This film kicks ass. I'm almost willing to say that I like it more than Video Violence as my favorite SOV flick, and that's nuts because that's been my number one since I started getting into this. Thank you Bleeding Skull! and Mondo for printing this on vhs for all of us cinema dumpster divers to enjoy. My soul sings for you. Now get lost.  

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing review! You are too kind!! You would think I received money from the cigarette lobby for all the smoking in that film! the 80s was a strange time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Pat Bishow! Of all the people to leave a comment on my blog I never would have thought that the man that directed Soultangler would be it! I appreciate you even bothering to read my dumb review of your SOV flick, but I have to ask... how did you find it?! I'm still kind of on the obscure side when it comes to horror blogging!

      Delete
  2. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I found your site (and I love it BTW) by a google search. Your review made my day!!

    ReplyDelete