Friday, March 4, 2016

Box Set - itis: Video Violence Deluxe Videovore Edition


As a collector and a purveyor of anything and everything horror related, we all have goals, ambitions and crown jewels that we must have in our collections for them to be complete. Some people will tell you that it has to be rare or expensive or something that everyone is trying to find to have a specific piece to have that zen. I disagree. It just should be something that you hold dear to your hollow, blackened heart. And it also should make you feel alive. Some what. My shiny, lustered offering is the Camp Motion/Lunchmeat VHS collaboration with Gary Cohen. The massive, gigantic Video Violence Videovore Edition. I remember running across this by accident on-line on the Lunchmeat VHS website back when Nicole and I were still living in Champaign, and I talked about it for weeks. I had to get a copy of this one way or another. I loved both of the Video Violence films immensely (as I had watched both in The Basement box set countless times up to that point) and I felt it deep in my bronchial tubes that it was just imperative to own. Dripping with video store rental grace and a nostalgic "be kind, rewind" vibrato, ordering a copy straight from Alternative Cinema 2-3 years later (at a reduced price) made me all warm, giddy and pre-school like when it arrived in the mail. Damn I love collecting this shit.  

Price I paid: $44.99

Where did I find it?: Alternative Cinema.com

 Print: Camp Motion Pictures/Lunchmeat VHS

Run#: I'm assuming still the first. I vaguely remember something about when it was first put out that there was only going to be 250 copies or some insanely low quantity?? Or maybe that was the amount for the ones that Gary Cohen himself was going to autograph at the release party? Who knows. 

Movies Included: Video Violence, Video Violence II (both on blood red VHS) and a 90 minute re-edit of both films edited together into one film on a separate dvd. Hotchka!

Is it worth it?: I honestly don't even need to answer this one for you. If you read the opening paragraph you know what the answer to this one is.

Final: All I can say is watch both Video Violence movies first. If you fall in love with them, your broken, saddened heart will tell you if this is a gem for you to acquire or not. It's damn well worth more than $45 to me, I can tell you that right now. The only other reason I can think of for owning this besides being a VV fanatic is just being an SOV completion-ist. I know you guys are out there. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment