Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Popcorn


When I first started collecting, the only format I was worried about buying movies on was dvd. And then I eventually found a pretty nice VCR at Goodwill in Champaign. So I started buying horror movies on VHS as well. At the Gordyville Flea Market every month, I started paying attention to people selling movies in general, especially VHS because I wanted to see what sort of weirdo gems I would run across. One of the first times that I found someone with horror VHS tapes, they had a bunch of stuff, including Popcorn. The cover art stuck in my mind for some reason as I didn't buy it when I first found it. I did however buy a copy of Zombie on VHS which is just outrageous. I still have that copy in my basement. The next month when we went, that same guy was there with the same Popcorn tape, but for some reason I still didn't buy it. And then eventually he just wasn't there selling stuff anymore. So I missed my chance at having Popcorn on VHS. But I did find someone on Youtube recently that posted the full, uncut movie. So I downloaded it. And I watched it. And I had kind of a luke warm reception with it.

Someone took some LSD before going to bed.

Troy Sanders?! I'm sorry, I haven't listened to any Mastodon in a while!

Damn Mark, coming on kind of strong are we?

"Because you can't see Mosquito at home."

And I thought I was a horror buff, Jesus Christ.

That shock clock is badass.

"I look like a fucking sno-cone."

Saturday night at the movies.

A free ticket to the "Possessor." How can you resist.

Theaters are nowhere near as fun as this anymore. Makes me die a little inside.

Looks like Officer Bradley is getting some of that pie.

T.K.O.

"Tina should start eating better. She looks like shit."

Now that I actually have watched Popcorn, I should have just bought the damn tape. Is it the greatest horror flick ever? Not even close. But it is fun and the special effects are pretty well done. Especially when the main villain keeps switching faces and messing with everyone in the theater while their watching some classic drivel. I also loved everyone's costumes and masks in the theater and just how the crowd was having an uproarious good time during the movies and throwing candy and popcorn at each other. I truly wish theaters were like that still these days. This film is getting increasingly hard to find, and if you do want the VHS it's roughly around the 20 or 30 dollar range and I'm pretty sure that it never made it to dvd. Unless you find a bootleg or something. Heh. Pirates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment