Tuesday, May 3, 2016

SOV Weekend 1-2: Captives (Mama's Home)


If you know who Gary Cohen is or you have seen either of the Video Violence films, then you know what you're getting yourself into with this one. He directed this one (I believe) in between working on Video Violence and Video Violence II, and a lot of the cast from the first movie appears in Captives in completely different roles. Now, I know what you're thinking- the box art looks horrible. And it does. I don't know who these people are on the cover or who Mama is, but neither one of these weirdo's is in the film anywhere. This cover was created to make more sales and move more units I guess. I'm not really so sure it worked though because if you're looking for this movie on VHS, good fucking luck. You're better off buying The Basement box set and having the minimalist print of it on dvd than killing yourself trying to find a VHS copy of it. Captives is an SOV home invasion film. And it's done very well. It's honestly kind of unnerving because these three wacko siblings act like how they probably would in real life if they did something like this. I wouldn't put it past them. It's just wrong and creepy. That's one reason why home invasion flicks bother me- because these types of situations can and do happen in real life. And it's truly scary.

I love retro electronics.

Now I just want to play some Paperboy on NES.

 This baby is a real life Bonk.

 Slice dat' bagel.

Someone likes toothpaste a little too much.

Did he not just see this guy bolt into his garage?!

I'm excited. I'm always up for an educational film.

Baby, baby, booby, baby bumpers.

Dog for fish food.

You can trust Paulie with Bonk.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

She is quite possibly the least attractive hooker I've ever seen.

 If you've never seen a Gary Cohen movie, and can find this somewhere, I would recommend watching it. It really is a dark, messed up home invasion/drama type of movie that could take place in anyone's home at any given time. And that's the part that freaks me out. There are people that actually act and think like this out there in our world. It however, doesn't surprise me. I just wish I had a Turbo Grafx 16 so I could play some Bonk. I'm in the mood for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment