Sunday, March 22, 2015

Prototype X29A



This movie had randomly shown up on Netflix recently and just from the name and the usual three-looping photo thing that they setup for every movie and tv show that they put up for their customers' consumption, I was immediately drawn in. I added it to my list right then and there. It took a couple of weeks for me to get around to watching it (as the movies Killer's Moon and Frank were added in the same fashion to my list and still have not been watched as of yet) and to be fair, I was mostly disappointed. Not all the way... mostly. I was seriously expecting some sort of early 90's Terminator-esque blast fest with some unknown lead actor as an Arnold wannabe, but that didn't happen. This film ended up being the total opposite of what I expected from an early 90's sci-fi/action promoted film. My nose for trash cinema isn't perfect, you know.

I know this came out in '92, but I can't help but have the feeling that I'm watching a Matrix/Terminator/Mad Max mash up with a little Fallout/Damnation Alley sprinkled on top.

The POV from the Prototype makes me think I'm playing an FMV game from the Sega CD such as Ground Zero Texas or Night Trap.

So, the prototype just randomly shut down because, why?

    20 years later and... everything looks exactly the same!

I hope in the year 2077 there are cute, dirtied-up girls with messy hair and leather berets and doofus male counterparts with cyber punk power mullets. Great Scott!

The Wachowski brothers had to have seen this before they made the original Matrix film. They had to have.

Whoever choreographed this fight scene did a pretty shit-tastic job.

Chandra just gave Hawk blue balls. The man is in a wheel chair for fucks sake. How dare she.

These fight scenes are just downright awful.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, this movie ended up being the opposite of what I expected. Hawk wants desperately to walk again, so he agrees to be the next person to be fused into one of the Prototype suits. He also does it so he can basically have sex with Chandra again and get their relationship back together. But that's really all the movie focus' on, and it just ends up feeling like a futuristic/post apocalyptic version of General Hospital or One life to Live. People or "Omegas" hook into the internet very similarly to how people connect in the Matrix movies, which is why I kept referencing that earlier as well. I really don't know who to recommend this to, if I even want to recommend it at all. I'm not even sure fans of sci-fi or post-apocalyptic flicks would even get into this movie very much. This is the only time I will be watching this so take it as you will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment