Sunday, January 22, 2017

Evil Ed


I finally had the chance and the good graces to watch Evil Ed by way of streaming it from Amazon Instant Video. And it's on Prime which makes it all the more sweeter. There are many various VHS and dvd covers that go along with this film, but the one that caught my eye many years ago searching for this schlock online led me to the one where Ed's head is being split in half by a hatchet. That's the one that did it and solidified my stance on wanting to watch this. Obsessively. The power of cover art and marketing, my friends. It's a strong thing. And you know what-it worked. It stuck with me to the bitter end until I finally watched it last night... and I wasn't let down. You see, Ed has been having a lot of issues lately cutting the Loose Limbs series of movies for his boss, and he starts losing his shit. A dead guy with Bill Moseley's voice ends up in Ed's kitchen (even though it's in his head) a weird goblin/monster thing is living in the refrigerator, and lot's of innocent people become stabbed and maimed on the account that Ed can't handle all of the violence and bewbs he's been exposed to while editing these films. I personally think that would be the greatest job in the world, but it's not everyone's slice of cake. And maybe that frosting has to much sugar. That happens sometimes.

    I guess you could say that "Ed is all wrapped up in his work".

That door must be serious if you need an acetylene torch.

Where does a film editor have to go to acquire a hand grenade?

Look at those German beauties.

Can I work in the splatter and gore department? Pretty please?!

Plus one for a topless German version of Katy Perry in a fur coat. Minus one for Ed editing out the scene where she gets sliced up.

I wish the Loose Limbs series was real.

That voice very much sounds like Bill Moseley.

  It's all in your head, Ed.

Be careful with those film reels, you doofus! The Loose Limbs series must live on!

A Gremlin and a Hobgoblin had a child. I knew this would happen eventually.

Holy shit-I never thought I would see a Satan in a film on the same level as Tim Curry's from Legend

 By the time you reach the end of Evil Ed, you realize that this is a horror film made by the fans, for the fans of this genre. Specifically fans of The Evil Dead, Dead Alive and Peter Jackson. There were plenty of scenes, gore effects, camera angles and characters that reminded me of all three of those things; and the homages were paid. Yes indeed. The only one major thing about Evil Ed I didn't care to much for was how it ended up being paced. A lot of scenes felt very natural and quick, but then there were plenty of other spots that felt like twenty minutes instead of twenty seconds, and that became a problem very quickly because I was sitting there wondering if anything was going to happen. And of course, something eventually did happen, it just took longer than it should have. Overall zits and zombies, don't let Ed give you a splitting headache because he's a sap-embrace the mental exhaustion it takes to do this stuff. He's only going to be on Prime for so long.    

No comments:

Post a Comment