Sunday, January 15, 2017

Phantasm Remastered (blu-ray)


There really isn't anything I can possibly say about the original Phantasm that hasn't already been said in any other reviews of it because, well, it's a horror fanatic classick. It flows and sways like blood spraying out of an arterial wound, and it's hard to get it to stop doing so. A lot of fans have said that this film (or even the whole series for that matter) really doesn't make to much sense. But, I honestly think it's simple. The Tall Man is from another dimension and he needs slaves to do his bidding there because he's evil and he loves crushing people's corpse's into dwarf sized minions. If you take away all of the other non-sense like the fact that Reggie drives an ice cream truck for a living or that Jody wears a really stupid looking bowling hat while he plays an electric Fender guitar out on the front porch, then the plot all falls into place and you can go from there. The remastered blu-ray of the original Phantasm looks fucking gorgeous as a lot of the scenes have been color corrected and the 1080p transfer is just outstanding. A film this old should not look or sound this good, but boy, does it ever. Well Go Entertainment, you nailed it. I'd love to shake your hand, but it's not physically possible. I just don't associate with quadrupeds.

Graveyard sex. Oh yeah, baby.

Now that's a mansion. Or a mausoleum?

Someone took the blue acid.

    A little aggressive, aren't we Tall Man?

No way he picked up that casket by himself.

It's hard not to fear when his hand is caught inside some random black box!

Yo Reggie-give me two scoops of that mint chocolate chip in a waffle cone. And play me some of them blues.

Tune forks make me giggle.

Why do you people insist on banging in a cemetery?

I don't think I can go to bed for a while now.

Apparently, The Tall Man loves Reggie's dry ice.

This may be the first film I can think of where when someone gets killed, they actually pee themselves. Bravo on the realism.

If you have been on the fence (or just haven't had a chance) about upgrading an older format of Phantasm to this remastered blu-ray, by all means, get on it. Well Go did an amazing job like I stated earlier, and this really is the best looking and sounding this is probably ever going to get. I'm just hoping that in the near future they get around to putting the entire series on blu-ray, or even putting them all into a box set. That would be a wish that I could make on one of the Leprechaun's gold coins. And hey-even a twisted horror freak like me has hopes and dreams.     

No comments:

Post a Comment