Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Peter Jackson was already Peter Jackson before he became Peter Jackson (part1-Dead Alive)


Some of you might, but most of you don't know that there is a pre-King Kong remake, legendary Lord of the Rings trilogy Peter Jackson. A Peter Jackson that I personally wish still made these insane, over the top gore and slime fests that I hold so dear to my burnt little heart. The very first one he did was Bad Taste, but I'm starting off with Dead Alive because it's waaaaayyyy more infamous, and because there is so much gore and just straight-up insanity in this picture that I didn't even realize what I was about to watch when I initially bought the dvd back in my Champaign days. My mind is still thoroughly rattled by the fact that when I bought this dvd, I found it at Best Buy for $9.99. Now if you want a new, sealed copy it's bound to be in the $80-$100 range. Unbelieveable. 

The question you have to ask yourself-is it worth spending that much on a single dvd when you can easily just find it somewhere online to watch for little to nothing? Well, that depends on what kind of a collector you are or if you're a collector at all and just want the experience of treading the early work of Peter Jackson.

You see, he truly is a genius. I think, anyway. Even without watching his previous films and starting off with seeing his remake of King Kong in the theater, I already knew that he was a fantastic director. I just wish I would have found these gems first. Better late than never. Don't forget the gravy on those mashed potatoes. 

Initially, I watched Dead Alive with my brother Kevin. I informed him that there was a horror flick I had just picked up at the time that contained a scene with a priest that proclaimed "I kick ass for the Lord!" He was hooked. I could see on his face and in the sparkling drool on his lower lip that he wanted to jump into this to have a good laugh. And boy, did we ever! It was non-stop comedy because neither of us had seen this prior, and everything was just seething with absurdity. Top notch. High shelf. Whatever you want to call it. It was a joyously religious experience, and I will never forget that day, watching it on his ex-girlfriend's PS3, laughing our asses off at farting entrails and zombies getting chunked by a modified lawn mower. High class gore fest. Peter Jackson, you are the shit. Please make another cult horror flick. I beg of you. 

All of these native tribe members look like ex-Mudvayne roadies.

There's no time to play cricket!

Well, her dad looks like Gallagher really let himself go.

 Yeah, because two pencils and an ink ribbon are just magically going to fall into the shape of a moon and a star.

I think mother is wearing to much fucking make-up.

Ok, bro. Lay off the tobacco for a while. Your teeth are making me nervous.

Damn, mother! Step on that son of a bitch!

I never realized that pudding could be so disgusting.

A neo-nazi veterinarian. What a guy.

Why do morticians always eat sandwiches?

"I kick ass for the Lord!"

With this being the first entry in this little series (there are two more) I will leave you with this-if you're into (or want to get into) some of the most out of sight gore, character situations, dialogue, camera angles and film editing, look no further than Dead Alive. This is truly some bat-shit anarchy, and I don't think you're collection would be complete without it. I wouldn't pay the insane price for a new dvd, but I would somehow find a way to watch this because if you're a fear fan and haven't seen this-you owe it to yourself to do so. I also need to find a way to shake Peter Jackson's hand. I just hope that he covers up his brain with that derby first. There's no need for his gray matter to be falling out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment